Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Surprised by Motherhood by Lisa-Jo Baker

If you've been reading about our Life on the Gravelly Road for a while, you know I sometimes participate in Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday community.  Her blog is one I read frequently, full of heartfelt honesty and soul-deep encouragement for mamas in all walks of motherhood.

So when I heard she'd written a book, I was excited to hear more.
surprised by motherhood
"Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected About Being a Mom" by Lisa-Jo Baker
I've only read the first three chapters, but it struck chord in me and I can't wait to read the rest.

You can read the first three chapters for free too.  Or maybe just order it.  Or I'll order it, share it with you, and then we can go out for coffee.  Because this is a book to share over coffee.

The first chapters reflect on Lisa-Jo's journey to motherhood, how it was impacted by her memories of her mother and how motherhood changed her life (in a good way).

Like Lisa-Jo says in her book,
“One, motherhood is hard. Two, motherhood is glorious. Three, motherhood is hard.” 


“Parenting is not for the faint of heart. And it’s especially not for those type A personalities accustomed to having all their ducks in a row, all their check boxes checked, and their sofa cushions, cereal boxes, and entire lives neatly arranged.”

http://lisajobaker.com/surprised-by-motherhood/

This book has the potential to speak to new moms whose lives are changing by tiny-human-chaos-creators, experienced moms managing the chaos of a busy family, women mothering without their own mother in their lives, and those with empty nests reflecting on the powerful role of mother they played and continue to play in their children's lives.

Lisa-Jo's writing reminds me to reflect on my own motherhood journey...

The long wait for motherhood rocked my faith, caused me to lean into my Savior, and struggle to continue to cling to heavenly hope instead of attempting to guard my heart with earthly skepticism.

The arrival of motherhood challenged my problem-solving and formula-loving math brain. There is no formula in parenthood, no "one thing" that will prevent the tantrum, no clear guaranteed steps to raise a small person to be a successful adult.

Our current wait to adopt reminds me to treasure the now of mothering my son, teaches me to live in the moment instead of letting the "what if" rule my weeks, and makes it clear that God builds families with a plan that isn't always clear this side of heaven.

I'm reminded that even when this job of Mom feels so huge, so overwhelming, that God is always there, strength in my weakness, ready to pour grace and love into my life so I can pour grace and love into my son's.  This book reminds moms that they are not on this journey alone.


If you want to learn more about this book visit this page, which also includes a number of other blog reviews and even a few giveaways.  Or watch this beautiful and inspiring trailer for the book... warning tissues may be required.



What has surprised you about motherhood?  How do make time to reflect on your mothering and how God is using this part of your life to shape you and impact your faith?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your heart. The wonder and joy that my children show daily is such an inspiration to me. I love laughing with them and seeing things through their eyes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! So true. It is amazing to see the world through the eyes of a child... such a valuable perspective.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...